Even though your Chromebook is great for a lot of things, running apps is not one of them. Thankfully, there are ways through which you can still enjoy your favorite apps. One of them is to remotely access your Mac or Windows computer.
If you already use the Chrome browser on your computer or laptop, things should be easy. After making sure you’re also connected with your Google account, all you have to do next is to install a new plugin on both your laptop and Chromebook. When the setup is done, you will be able to remotely access your laptop’s apps and files with the browser closed.
Setting up remote access using Chrome Remote Desktop
- Open the Chrome browser on your laptop or computer;
- Go to the Google Chrome Webstore by inserting chrome.google.com/webstore in the URL bar;
- Find the Chrome Remote Desktop app and Add it to Chrome.
The Chrome Remote Desktop appears now in the list of Chrome apps.
Connecting the devices
- Open the remote access app;
- You will be asked for permission on the computer or laptop, so click Continue and grant access to the app;
- Now click on the Get Started button in My Computers section;
- Choose a PIN password to protect your connection and when you’re don, click on OK.
- A new pop-up window will confirm that the remote connection has been enabled. Click OK.
After the setup is finished, the computer will be shown in the section My Computers. By clicking the pencil shown in the right, you can edit the name of the laptop or computer.
How to establish a Remote Connection from your Chromebook
If you haven’t installed the Chrome Remote Desktop app on your Chromebook’s browser, now it’s the time to do it. Follow the steps above again if necessary.
This is what you need to do to establish the remote connection:
- Open the Chrome Remote Desktop app;
- You will have to grant it access to the necessary settings, so click on Continue in the next dialogue box;
- Click on Allow Access when the next window appears;
- The Chromebook will also be added to the My Computers list in the app.
Now, all you have to do is to select the device you want to access remotely, enter the PIN password you’ve set in the first place and click on Connect.
A new window showing the desktop of your computer will show on your Chromebook. You will see a drop-down menu at the top so you’ll know on which device you’re on. You can use features like screen capture, viewing options and you can use the Ctrl + Alt + Del combo and the Disconnect key.
Feel free to surf your computer as if you were on it and not on your Chromebook. You can play movies, music, play games and pretty much everything else you usually do with your Mac or Windows PC.