As more and more Chromebooks are updated lately with Android Play Store support we decided today to teach some of you guys who are not that tech savvy how exactly you can install then run Android apps on your beloved Chromebook.
First and foremost you must make sure your Chromebook is able to install apps from the Google Play Store. An official compatibility list can be found here.
Secondly, you must also take into account that in case you are trying to install Google Play Store on your school Chromebook or you are simply lacking the administrator privileges for your machine you will not be able to install Android apps either.
How To Install Android Apps On Your Chromebook
Go ahead and install the latest version of ChromeOs. This is really important as with each update more and more Chromebooks were added on the supported list. Your Chromebook might be able to run Android apps but it may not run the latest version of Chrome. As of the date we’re currently writing this guide the latest ChromeOS is 60.
- To manually check for updates follow these steps:
- Click anywhere you wish on your account photo
- Go to Settings
- Go to “Menu” then select “About Chrome OS”
- Here you will an option to “Check for Updates”
In case there is any update released your machine will automatically start downloading the version then you will be prompted to install.
After you are running the latest version of Chrome OS you are all set to Sign In to Google Play Store:
- Click on your account photo again
- Head to the Settings tab
- You will now have to search for a blue switch labelled “Enable Google Play Store on your Chromebook”. If you are not able to find the toggle, your Chromebook does not support Android apps yet.
- Go ahead and click on the “Get Started” button
- After you read and agree with the usual Terms of Service (that no one actually has the patience to read actually) click on “Agree”
- You will now be able to sign into your Google Play Store account.
- The Play Store App should now prompt you as you will now be able to search for any Android app for your Chromebook you wish.
This is basically it, you have successfully been granted access to millions of Android apps compatible with the Chrome OS platform. If you encounter any problems during the process do not hesitate to let us know in the comments sections below as we are more than happy to help you guys out.